When I think of what makes a perfect populaire, among the important parts are things like this:
- it should start with an espresso (doppio of course)
- 20 meters of gravel and a bit of climbing at the beginning to warm up
- have a near- equal number of left turns and right turns
- at 33.7K (give or take a few hundred meters), a twice- baked almond croissant magically appears
- gently rolling roads through farm- and pasture- land with views of a winding river
- somewhere around 77K, opportunities for more coffee and a treat, before a bit of climbing to justify all those calories (don't overdo it- there's only 30K to go!)
- 100 meters of single track, just enough to enhance the post-ride stories
- a nice, quick downhill before 7K of water views along E Lake Samammish Pkwy NE
- finish at a brewery (with a food truck!) to quench my thirst and visit with other riders
If this checks any of your boxes, come to our Summer Populaire on Saturday, June 19. Checkin should be quick, just to pick up your brevet card to start around 8:00 AM.
Route & Cue Sheet: RWGPS Route (FINAL)
RUSA Route 1446 Snoqualmie River Run Populaired
Parking: Avoid parking in the Peet's/ Whole Foods parking lot. There is a bike trail parking lot just to the west of Peet's, enter from NE 70th St.
Or you may consider street parking on NE 65th street by Postdoc Brewing, less than a kilometer from the start.
Note: Printed cuesheets will not be available at the start. You may choose to print your own. To print the cuesheet from the route page, click the More button, then select Print Cuesheet.
Registration opens Wednesday, May 19 at 12:01 AM (Pacific Time).
- Advance registration is required — we cannot accommodate same-day registration.
- Membership: All riders must have current RUSA and SIR memberships (you'll enter your RUSA number during registration). Don't have a RUSA membership? Join here (or renew if your RUSA membership has expired). Allow a few days in advance for RUSA verification.
- Online registration is open until Wednesday, June 16 at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time).
- Ride cost is $5 paid online at the time of registration.
Due to continuing COVID-19 concerns, this will be a no-contact brevet with all online registration and no manned food controls. We encourage you to bring along your own food and drink, but the route does pass through numerous towns where there are opportunities to refuel. We will report separately on specific COVID-19 protocols, which will apply not only to this brevet but also to future rides for an indefinite time period.
The online registration includes signing a responsibility waiver (using the same SmartWaiver app used for RUSA Permanents). After registering, you'll receive a confirmation email containing a link to the SIR waiver.
Complete and submit the waiver to finalize your registration.
With regard to the waiver, we're bound by RUSA insurance rules, which stipulate that riders confirm the email address entered on the waiver. Here's an overview of the process:
- Go to https://www.smartwaiver.com/v/rusaWASeattle, complete the waiver, including your email address. This link is also in your event registration email. To minimize confusion, please also use these for the appropriate fields in the waiver:
- Designated Event:Summer Populaire
- Designated Event Date:June 19, 2021
- Once submitted, you will receive an email containing a link to verify the email address. Click on the link in the email. This will confirm the waiver.
- Once you've confirmed the waiver, you'll receive another email with a link to the completed waiver, and your registration will be finalized.
YOU MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETED WAIVER IN ORDER TO START THE RIDE